Secrets of Asherah Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Author Topic: Programming Help  (Read 422 times)

Diredog

• Official Unofficial Chief Royal Astronomer
    • View Profile
Programming Help
« on: July 13, 2014, 06:58:45 AM »

(Misleading topic ahoy)

So, I'm trying to learn how to...  What, write Java?  Program Java?  How to Java?

ANYWAY I'm trying to learn Java in my free time (as of about two hours ago from writing this), but the resources my friend passed to me are, well, useless.  The textbook she gave me is too wordy, so I'm basically skimming it for the important stuff.  And all the websites I've found don't give much in the way of complex tutorials past the infamous "Hello World!" sample.  Everything else they have is just basic facts of the components of the Java language.

What I need help with is this:

I learn things like this better by doing rather than reading.  I didn't spend my first three months learning violin by reading a book, or learn to play the upright/double bass by reading a book, when I switched to that instrument in high school.  I didn't learn how to shoot effectively by reading a book, and I learned how to put together a computer from the ground up in a period of 15 minutes by DOING, not by reading.

So, the point: if anyone knows of ANY tutorials or fancy learning resources that can teach me to do Java by actually doing it and not reading about it, please send them my way.  I don't care why you should truncate strings, I want to know how to effectively and properly write them.

Can anyone help with this?  Thanks in advance!  As a reward, here's something I found in that textbook:
I'm kind've awesome.

Asherah

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Programming Help
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 12:43:28 PM »

Check with the IT Division at your school and see if they run short courses for students and staff. Generally when they give short courses, they get right into doing it almost immediately without a lot of theory. These are generally free and last four hours or so for one or two sessions. They're pretty intense though, obviously. They sometimes have modules available for self-study, if you can't take the course in person.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 04:21:35 PM by Asherah »

Dias

• View Profile
Re: Programming Help
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 06:18:16 AM »

http://www.compileonline.com/compile_java_online.php
An online Java compiler. The website also links an address with tutorials in java: http://www.tutorialspoint.com/java/index.htm
Though some of the tutorials might have typos such as:

System.out.print
instead of
System.out.println

Which makes a significant difference... One works, the other doesn't. As far as the average java compiler goes, anyways.... But aside from little things like that issue I found, the website has fairly straight forward examples with snippets of code included.